WORKING YOUR SHIFT: Updated 1/7/14
First and foremost, be on time for each shift. It is important to arrive on time to be fair to the person whom you are relieving. Your time card should accurately reflect when you arrive/leave your shift. Misrepresentation of hours will lead to dismissal.
The day-to-day operations of the Buntrock Commons rely heavily on the student staff. You are responsible for your work schedule. Schedules will be established at the beginning of each semester and Interim. If you are unable to work a shift it is your responsibility to find a substitute. PLEASE try and find a sub as soon as you know you need one and do not wait until shortly before your shift! Procedures for obtaining a substitute are as follows:
• Log on to the Sub Request system to send out a request on the e-mail alias to find possible replacements this can be done up to two weeks in advance. Don’t wait until the last minute. Sub requests must be made with a minimum of 24 hours of the shift or it will not be sent over the system.
• E-mailing someone directly to switch with/or sub for you is the most effective way to get a sub. Please notify the managers by e-mail (email@example.com) of any arrangements you have made outside of the Sub Request system.
• If you have a last minute request, e-mail the staff alias directly (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Failure to find a sub is not a reasonable reason to miss your shift.
• If you are having issues finding a substitute, please e-mail the managers to assist you.
You are responsible for your shift. Being late without prior notice will result in a warning. Failure to arrive for a shift will also result in a warning.
If you are off-campus and unable to return for your shift due to unforeseen circumstances (car trouble, weather delays, etc.) please notify the desk worker that works before you and the manager on-call (see schedule online)
Everyone will be required to work at least one weekend closing shift per semester. Missed weekend rotation shifts count for two automatic warnings.
Buntrock Commons uniform shirt and nametag are required. You may wear a Buntrock polo or the fleece jacket. Failure to wear the appropriate top and nametag will result in a warning.
The information desk is in a very public location. You may be the first “official” contact that a visitor to both the commons and the campus may have. How you look on the job is important. Please dress in a neat and professional manner at all times.
Problems encountered on a shift
In case you come up with a question or problem on shift that you are unable to answer or handle, please ask Nancy if it is before 3 pm. During weekdays 3-8pm, please ask the manager in the scheduling office. After 8 pm and on weekends, please contact the manager on call (listed at the front desk and on the online schedule).
If there is a medical emergency, call 9-911.
Any other security emergencies call Public Safety at x3666.
Other important phone numbers are posted at the desk and listed online in the BC Staff Google folder
Do’s and Don’ts while sitting at the desk:
• Only professional and student staff are allowed behind the desk. The key ring is NEVER to be given to friends to use.
• The computer at the desk is for the student staff uses only.
• Do not watch movies while working at the desk.
• Please do not make personal calls while at the desk. The phone is the “official” line for the building and should be kept free.
• Headphones are not to be used at the desk.
• Please do not allow your friends to congregate at the front of the desk and keep visiting to a maximum of ten minutes.
• Snacks and drinks are fine at the desk. If your shift overlaps with meal times, you may bring your meal to the desk. Return your tray and dirty dishes immediately after you are finished.
• It is fine for you to do homework when the desk is quiet, but attention to people who come to the desk is your first priority. Please do not give the impression to folks who ask you questions, etc. that they are imposing disturbing your homework. Building patrons should never feel like they are imposing on your study time.
• Only college related information should be posted behind the desk. Keep these postings to a minimum.
• PLEASE keep the back area of the desk clean and neat.
• Please be sure to restock the information holder on the wall across from the desk with Buntrock and Campus information pamphlets located in the marked counter drawer.
• Use the appropriate ‘away’ signs anytime you must leave the desk.
• Check the equipment and van check-out charts regularly – do not leave the desk if a customer is anticipating picking something up.
Be sure to fill in your electronic time card each time you work. Do not fill out in advance. You will be notified when time cards are due. It is your responsibility to see that you sign and return them by the due date. Failure to do so will result in a delayed payment. Please accurately record time worked (this can be done to the nearest 5 minutes.) Misrepresentation of time worked will result in dismissal.
Warnings and Dismissal:
The Buntrock Commons Building Managers as well as professional staff have the authority to issue warnings for the following, but not limited to, actions at the desk:
• Missing or more than fifteen minutes tardy to a shift with no warning or notifying of a manager
• Visitors behind the desk, visitors blocking visibility of desk workers, or visitors for an excessive length of time (more than ten minutes)
• Not being in uniform
• Inappropriate use of information or items in your care.
• Using headphones at the desk
• Other behavior deemed as misconduct by managers or professional staff.
You will be notified via e-mail if you have been issued a warning. After two strikes, you will be asked to meet with a manager. Following three strikes, your employment at the Information Desk or Scheduling Office will be terminated.