It is our hope that anyone who wants to participate in an off-campus study experience will be able to do so regardless of financial background.
Paying for Study Abroad FAQ’s
- What will I be billed by St. Olaf?
- Students will be billed St. Olaf tuition and the program fee for their specific program.
- Students participating in a semester or year-long program are not billed room and board by St. Olaf.
- Students participating in an Interim program are not charged for their board plan (meals) during the month of January.
- Please search for Semester or Year-Long Programs and view the “Budget Sheets” for details on different fees and the program cost.
- Please see the Interim Cost Pamphlet for more information about the program fee for Interim programs.
- Will I receive financial aid if I participate in an off-campus study program?
- Students receiving financial aid will continue to be eligible for financial aid while they are participating in a St. Olaf semester sponsored program and remain as a full-time student.
- The only form of financial aid that students cannot receive while participating in an off-campus study program is student employment.
- Will I get any extra scholarships if I choose to go on an off-campus study program?
- St. Olaf has many endowed scholarship funds that are made possible by generous St. Olaf alumni and friends of the College to help reduce the cost of an off-campus study experience.
- Some of these funds are for specific programs, while others are for any off-campus program.
- Students who receive these funds must complete a thank you letter to the scholarship donor.
- Funding varies from year to year and is never guaranteed.
- What is the timing on St. Olaf off-campus study scholarships? Do I have to submit an application?
- Generally students apply in February for Semester or Year-long programs, find out in March if they’ve been admitted to the program and get scholarship news in April.
- The timing for Interim programs are that students apply in April, are admitted in May and find out about scholarship possibilities in June-July.
- There is NO application for these scholarship funds. All students are automatically considered for these scholarships.
- Are there any scholarships that aren’t from St. Olaf that I can receive while participating in an off-campus program?
- There are some external programs that have scholarships available for qualified students. These scholarships are normally tied to a specific program (for instance, money from the Associated Colleges of the Midwest may only be for students participating in one of their programs).
- A federal scholarship is the Gilman Scholarship. Students must receive the Pell Grant to be eligible for the Gilman Scholarship.
- Can I borrow more loans to help pay for their off-campus study experience?
- Loans may be available to assist with the costs associated with study abroad opportunities. Contact your financial aid counselor to see what loan opportunities are available to you.
- Possible options include: Federal Direct Loans, Federal Parent PLUS Loans and Student Alternative/Private Loans.
For additional information about the St. Olaf endowed scholarship opportunities for off-campus study, please review the enclosed St. Olaf Study Abroad Scholarship Fact Sheet