There are two components to a complete Parent PLUS Loan application.
- The first, the “request” or “application” must be completed every time a family applies for the loan. The parent will find out right away if they have been approved for the loan.
- If the parent is approved and wants to borrow the PLUS Loan, proceed onto Step #2 (the Master Promissory Note).
- If the parent is approved and does NOT want to borrow the PLUS loan, stop here. There will be no funding sent and no loan created.
- If the parent is denied the PLUS Loan, they can either pursue a second “deeper” review of the application, add a co-signer to the application or the student can request additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan funds (up to $4,000 for first year/sophomores and up to $5,000 for junior/senior students)
- The second, the Master Promissory Note, only needs to be completed the FIRST time a family applies for the loan.
To complete the Parent PLUS process:
#1) Go to www.studentaid.gov and click on the “Parent” tab in the middle of the screen. Parents will need to sign in with their FSA User ID and Password. This User ID and password is the same information used to sign the FAFSA.
#2) Click on the “Apply for a Parent PLUS Loan” link. Complete the next few steps.
#3) If necessary, after completing the application, click on “Complete MPN (Master Promissory Note)“.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office at 507-786-3019 or email@example.com.