Remember to carry the following original documents with you when you travel. It is strongly recommended to leave copies of these documents with family in case something happens to the originals.
- Passport valid at least 6 months with your F-1 visa stamp
- I-20/DS-2019 (make sure you have signed it)
- Admissions and Financial Aid award letters
- Proof of SEVIS fee payment
- Credit card or other Financial information from your home bank
An F-1 student visa is not a guarantee of entry into the US. The bearer of a visa is subject to inspection at the port of entry (POE) by US Immigration officials, who have authority to deny admission. US Customs may ask you a range of questions about your intentions in the US, your political preferences, family members, etc. When/if they do please be polite, truthful, and answer only the question that is asked of you. There is a chance that they might ask you to wait in secondary inspection, ask to view your cellphone/computer, and ask you additional questions about your plans at St. Olaf. Don’t worry; simply be patient as they often let students enter once they have looked into your SEVIS record a little.