An F-1 student, who is currently maintaining F-1 status, is eligible to transfer to another school or program of study. If your SEVIS record is terminated, you will need to work with your new school’s Designated School Official through the reinstatement process. Schools are not required to accept students who are currently in a terminated status. If you think transferring is your best option, please begin the application process before your SEVIS record is terminated.
Admission to a new school does not by itself authorize the SEVIS transfer.
You must request we release your F-1 SEVIS record to your new school before you can begin full-time studies. We can not release your SEVIS record until after Graduation.
Your SEVIS record must be transferred before you depart the U.S. (SEVIS record gets completed when you depart during your 60 day grace), ideally before you leave campus!
Transfer date selection can be complicated if you are unsure which school you want to accept or if you are on a waitlist.
To facilitate the transfer, you must bring an official offer of admission from your new school, a completed “Transfer In” form from the new school, and St. Olaf’s F-1 Departure Form.
Benefits of SEVIS Transfer
- You do not pay the SEVIS I-901 fee again.
- You can remain in the U.S. in between programs, as long a the start of classes at your new school is within 5 months.
- You maintain the same current SEVIS ID number (which may make you eligible for certain benefits at your new school earlier, such as CPT).
- You may only work on campus at the school that has access to your SEVIS record, so any summer employment must be at your new institution.
- If you depart the U.S., you must enter with the I-20 from the new school no earlier than 30 days before your new program start date. You will be able to use your current, unexpired F-1 visa to reenter the U.S. even though it has St. Olaf printed on it.
- Talk to your new school about how quickly they can issue your new Form I-20. Can you pick it up when you arrive to their campus or do you need it shipped to you (cost, address, timing, etc.).