ようこそ！ At St. Olaf, you can pursue your interest in Japan and the Japanese language in the following ways:
- You can major in Japanese.
- You may take Japanese language courses to fulfill the College’s foreign language requirement or to major in Japanese or Asian Studies.
- We offer four years of language courses. Students not only develop skills in the language, but also gain knowledge of Japan in all of the language courses by using various authentic materials.
- We offer various Japan-related courses both from Asian Studies as well as from other departments such as art history, history, philosophy, political science, psychology, and religion.
- You can enroll in the Asian Conversations Program to broaden your understanding of Asia while studying Japanese and traveling to Japan for our January Interim.
- You can choose from three different campuses to study abroad for a semester or entire year: Waseda University in Tokyo, Nagoya University in Nagoya, or Hokusei Gakuin University in Sapporo.
- You can apply for a summer Internship in Japan : Education First (EF), an international education company in their Tokyo office in Shibuya, or Joy English Academy, a private English language school in Obihiro, Hokkaido.
- You can also participate in various extra curricular activities, such as Taiko drumming, martial arts, or anime.
- Some of our graduates have received Fulbright scholarships, been accepted for the JET Program, and continued studying Japan in various graduate programs.
For more information, contact:
- Prof. Rika Ito, Chair of Asian Studies and Associate Professor of Japanese Language, at email@example.com
Japanese program alumni: keep up with the department by liking our Facebook page!