To fulfill a Japanese major, students will demonstrate both linguistic and cultural competence.
Requirements for the Japanese Major
The major consists of nine courses.
- Four core language courses:
- JAPAN 231: Intermediate Japanese I
- JAPAN 232: Intermediate Japanese II
- JAPAN 301: Advanced Japanese I
- JAPAN 302: Advanced Japanese II
- One language course above JAPAN 302, such as:
- JAPAN 320: Special Topics in Japanese
- An equivalent course taken during an approved study abroad language program
- Four courses, taught in English, focused on Japan/Japanese language and culture:
- At least one must examine transnationalism/regionalism/global perspectives
- At least one must be 300-level
- No more than one may be 100-level
- One may be an Independent Study or an Asian Studies senior seminar (ASIAN 397 and ASIAN 399)
- The Asian Conversations sequence (ASIAN 210, 215/216, 220) may count for no more than two
Please see attached worksheet for specific course requirements.