All students with previous experience with Spanish must complete the placement exam before registering.
Register for the level in which you are placed.
If you have no previous experience with Spanish, enroll in Spanish 111.
Prospective Spanish majors should begin their study of Spanish fall semester of their first year.
Other students interested in Spanish should begin their study of the language at some point during their first year. There are multiple entry points throughout the academic year: Spanish 111, fall and interim; Spanish 112, 231, and 232, fall, interim, and spring; Spanish 250, fall and spring.
CREDIT FOR PREVIOUS COURSEWORK/PLACEMENT
- General questions about transfer of credit for AP (Advanced Placement), IB (International Baccalaureate), Cambridge A Levels, PSEO (Postsecondary Education Option) and CIS (College in the Schools) related to the completion of the Foreign Language requirement (FOL) in Spanish should be directed to the St. Olaf College Registrar (email@example.com).
- AP and IB scores and Spanish placement: Prof. Gwen Barnes-Karol (firstname.lastname@example.org) will inform students via email of their Spanish Placement after St. Olaf receives your official AP or IB scores.
- Transfer students interested in majoring in Spanish should contact Prof. Gwen Barnes-Karol (email@example.com).
- An online placement exam in Spanish can be found on our website.
- Depending on your placement results, students may be eligible to take the Spanish Proficiency Exam to fulfill the foreign language requirement. Check https://wp.stolaf.edu/spanish/proficiency-exam/ for information on this exam. Contact: Prof. Kristina Medina-Vilariño (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- In addition to taking the online placement exam, students who have spent a minimum of six months in a Spanish-speaking country on an exchange program must contact Prof. Gwen Barnes-Karol before registering for Spanish courses. Contact: Prof. Gwen Barnes-Karol (email@example.com)
Nothing at this time.
Chair, Department of Romance Languages – Prof. Maggie Broner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Spanish Placement – Prof. Gwen Barnes-Karol (email@example.com)
Spanish Proficiency – Prof. Kristina Medina-Vilariño (firstname.lastname@example.org)