SSS Application (New Students)

• Please Indicate your Residency Status

• Parent 1 / Guardian

• Parent 2 / Guardian

• If you lived with a parent(s)/guardian(s), what is the education attainment of the parent(s)/guardian(s) with whom you lived?

• CONFIDENTIALITY OF INFORMATION

Information you provide to the Student Support Services (SSS) program is protected by the Privacy Act. No one may see the information unless they work for St. Olaf College, Student Support Services, or if you specifically authorize them to see the information. In addition, some information you give to the SSS Program is sent to the federal government (Department of Education). The information is necessary to confirm that you are eligible to participate in the program and helps the government to measure the program’s success.
  • The following information requested on a VOLUNTARY basis:

• Student Disabilities (The following information is requested on a VOLUNTARY basis)

• For future follow-up contacts, please list relatives' or friends' addresses who will know your whereabouts 5 or 10 years from now.

• I affirm that the information I have provided is true and correct to the best of my knowledge. I authorize program staff to receive my transcripts, grades, financial data, documentation of a disability, recommendations and evaluations in order to determine eligibility and fulfill the requirements of the TRIO Student Support Services Program at St. Olaf College.

• ST. OLAF COLLEGE STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES (SSS) AUTHORIZATION FOR THE RELEASE OF ACADEMIC AND FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION

• I authorize the staff of the Student Support Services (SSS) to share information with those concerned about my academic progress such as the Dean’s office, professors, counselors, residence life, financial aid, etc. I also authorize the staff of the Student Support Services Program, Financial Aid office and Student Accounts office to share information concerning my financial aid package and bill/student account in order to verify my eligibility for the program and to assist me in completing all necessary documents needed for receiving financial aid. I understand that personal information will not be shared and will remain confidential unless we are legally required to break confidence.

• These exceptions are as follows:

• 1. If there is reasonable cause to believe that you are a danger to yourself or others, it may be necessary to inform the appropriate people.

• 2. If we suspect abuse of children or vulnerable adults, we are required to notify the appropriate agencies.

• 3. If you are involved in certain criminal or civil proceedings, we may be required by court subpoena to release records and/or have staff testify.

• 4. Student Support Services staff may consult with each other in order to provide you with the best assistance available.

• If you have any questions about our services, confidentiality or other legal or ethical concerns, please feel free to discuss this with any of the staff of Student Support Services.

• MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • SERVICES PROVIDED BY SSS

(Carefully read this section and sign below)
  • TUTORING SERVICES

• Tutoring is offered to all St. Olaf students through the Academic Support Center (ASC). To request a tutor, contact the ASC at x3288. Your SSS advisor can also assist you to make an appointment with the ASC. Supplemental Instruction (SI) is also provided by SSS in many subjects. A listing is available from your advisor. I understand that the St. Olaf College Academic Support Center provides tutoring and/or disability services and that the service is available to me. I also understand that SSS provides SI and that I am encouraged to attend SI for any classes in which it is offered and in which I am enrolled. Instruction in biology and writing are provided during the Summer Bridge Program (SBP). Study Skills instruction is offered during the SBP and in workshop format during the academic year.

• FINANCIAL LITERACY/FAFSA/FINANCIAL AID

• Each year, SSS offers sessions on financial literacy, financial aid and completing the FAFSA. The schedules of these sessions are provided to each student at the beginning of each semester. Information on financial aid and available private and federal programs is presented during the Summer Bridge Program. SSS advisors are also available to answer your questions about financial aid individually. The St. Olaf College Financial Aid Office and SSS offers information and workshops about college financial aid, loans, and completing the FAFSA and offers financial literacy sessions that I can attend twice a year which teach me about financial literacy (how to budget, manage, and understand money and credit).

• GRADUATE AND PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL ACTIVITIES

• Each year, workshops are offered on graduate school. A graduate school visit is provided each year during interim break. Advisors are available to provide individual assistance to students interested and/ or applying to graduate or professional school programs. SSS staff refer students to McNair Scholars programs and other research opportunities.

• OTHER SSS SERVICES

• SSS offers many other services including advising, career information, and exposure to cultural and academic programs, mentoring, Summer Bridge Program, and Supplemental Grant Aid.

• By signing this verification, I understand the services available to me through St. Olaf College and the St. Olaf College TRIO Student Support Services program.

• MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES CONSENT FORM TO OBTAIN AND/OR RELEASE INFORMATION

• All family and student information provided to SSS or obtained by SSS is kept confidential and will not be released without permission. SSS requests your permission to obtain information and/or to release family and student information for the following reasons:

• 1. To obtain information necessary to establish your eligibility for program services.

• 2. To report student progress information to the U. S. Department of Education to demonstrate program effectiveness.

• I give the Student Support Services (SSS) program permission to obtain and/or release information on my behalf for the reasons listed above.

• MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • The following release of information is optional to receive program services:

• SSS requests your permission to release family and student information for the following reasons:

• 1. Scholarship agencies, youth leadership, employment and educational programs contact SSS to offer opportunities to SSS students. TRIO can release student information (name, address, ethnicity, economic eligibility) to these carefully screened organizations.

• 2. Graduate schools and other postsecondary institutions may waive application fees for students who meet SSS eligibility guidelines, and will discuss admission and financial aid opportunities for which students may be eligible.

• MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • SELECTION PROCESS: As there are a limited number of spaces available in the Student Support Services Program, priority will be given to:

• • Students who are both income eligible and first generation college students;

• • Students who have disabilities and are income eligible who require educational accommodations;

• • Alumni of other TRIO programs: Upward Bound, Talent Search, Educational Opportunity Center, other Student Support Services;

• • Students with educational histories that reflect a need for academic support

• • MOST IMPORTANTLY, students MOTIVATED to make full use of TRIO services

• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.