Graduate Update: Kyaw Kyaw Htwe

After graduating from Humboldt High School, Kyaw Kyaw enrolled at St. John’s University, where he will graduate in 2020. Upward 

Bound was thrilled to hear back from Kyaw Kyaw, and we hope you enjoy reading all about him!

Kyaw Kyaw has been very busy at St. John’s University. He joined numerous clubs on campus, including Asian club, soccer club, and Philippine American Kasamahan. In his free time, Kyaw Kyaw also takes part in choir and piano classes. Participating in these clubs has given Kyaw Kyaw chances to travel across the country and learn more about different cultures. Recently, Kyaw Kyaw attended the Midwest Asian American Student Union (MAASU) conference in Michigan, where he met students from universities and colleges all across the United States. He explained that it was one of his favorite experiences in college so far, as he was able to connect and learn from so many people.

I also asked Kyaw Kyaw what he thought of college so far. He said, “Before I came to college I was really scared. I did not think I was capable of learning and competing with others for a college education. However, my first day of college was amazing. I got to meet a lot of nice people and my professors learned my name. Everyone was just so welcoming, which made it easier for me to fit in. College is definitely hard, but there are a lot of resources that can help you along the way.” We are glad to hear that Kyaw Kyaw is utilizing his resources on campus and is enjoying himself in college.

When I asked Kyaw Kyaw to reflect back on his favorite memory of Upward Bound, he shared, “My favorite memory has to be our college visits. When we visited colleges, our PSE class got close and we started building better relationships. We pretty much became family. Visiting colleges also gave me better understanding of where I wanted to go and study for the next four years.”

He also mentioned that UB helped him tremendously with getting into college, “Upward Bound helped me a lot with making my decision to continue my education and with my college and scholarship applications. Without Upward Bound, I would not be in the position I am in today. The UB Summer Bridge program was also very helpful. I had taken college classes in school before, but they were not the same as my Bridge class. We had an awesome professor and took the class on campus at St. Olaf. This was really important to me because I wanted my own college experience to be similar to the small campus feel I had then.”

Kyaw Kyaw also had some advice to share with current UB students, “UB does take a lot of commitment, but it is so worth it in the end. Although Upward Bound may take up half of your summer, they are only there to help you and being able to live on a college campus will help in the long run. While you might not end up going to St. Olaf, the summer college experience will help you with what type of college you want to live at for the next four years. That was really big for me because I did not want to go to a place that I didn’t feel was a good fit for me.”

UB is extremely proud of everything Kyaw Kyaw has accomplished in college so far and cannot wait to see him graduate in 2020!