St. Olaf Dance Scholarships are merit-based scholarships that are awarded to students with exceptional dance talent. Students also may qualify for additional need-based aid, in which case the dance scholarship becomes part of the student’s financial aid package.
Awards of $4,000 – $8,000 per year are open to dance majors and non-dance majors. These are renewable scholarships that require continued participation in one of the dance companies and recommendation of the dance faculty. It is potentially a $32,000 4-year scholarship.
Dance scholarship applications are due January 15, 2014. A student applying for a dance scholarship must also submit an application for admission to the college. Applications must be submitted no later than January 15, 2014. Visit the admissions website for more information and to apply now!
APPLICATION PROCEDURES FOR STUDENTS APPLYING TO ENTER ST. OLAF IN THE FALL OF 2014
- Complete the online application: (The Application Process is Closed). The application consists of written responses to three questions, a recommendation from your dance teacher and your dance resume.
- Following the January 15 deadline, selected applicants will be invited to an audition on February 28, 2014. If an invited applicant absolutely cannot attend an audition, he/she needs to upload a video of their dance by February 7, 2014 to the Media Portfolio section of the application. Videos should be no longer than 5 minutes in length. For more details, click the Media Portfolio link in the left hand navigation of the application.
A note about your dance résumé:
Your dance résumé should include the following information
- Description of your private study for the past three years. Include teachers’ names and dates of study
- Outline of performance experiences in the past four years. Include school, church, community and regional performances
- List of honors or awards
- Other information that you feel is helpful or relevant to your application
A note about auditions:
Applicants participating in the on-campus audition do not need to prepare any material. You will be taking a movement class where you will be asked to demonstrate good, clear alignment and your ability to learn new material and perform it in small groups. You may also be asked to improvise with other students. Please come dressed in dance clothes (so we can see you move), and you will be dancing in bare feet. There will be a space available for warm-up before the audition. Auditions begin at 2:00 pm in Dance Studio 1 in Dittmann Center.
January 15, 2014
Your completed Dance Scholarship Application must be received. Your completed St. Olaf College Application for Admission must also be on file in the Admissions Office.
Late January, 2014
Invitations to the February 28 audition on Fine Arts Scholarship Day will be sent to select applicants.
February 28, 2014
Invited applicants will attend an on-campus audition on Fine Arts Scholarship Day. If unable to attend, upload or send a video by February 7, 2014.
Dance Scholarship decisions are mailed
May 1, 2014
National Candidate Reply Date (date by which all students must respond to offers of college admission and to scholarship awards.)
Academic Administrative Assistant
1520 St. Olaf Ave.
Northfield, MN 55057