The Center for Art and Dance has three beautiful dance studios that are in high-demand during the academic year. If you would like to reserve a dance studio, please read this entire page carefully. The use of the dance studios is contingent on space availability. Dance staff and students receive first consideration.
**Please note that the Dance studios are closed for the summer and are unavailable to schedule**
Dance Studio Rules and Regulations for 2021-22
Welcome back to campus for the 2021-2022 year! The Center for Art and Dance studios are wonderful. We love our space very much and want as many people as possible to utilize it. The safety of all students, faculty and staff, and the space is our first and foremost priority.
The following policies must be followed.
Each faculty, staff, and student will follow the Community Standards.
Before you can sign out space you must:
- Read this document in its entirety.
- Take and pass the Studio Use Quiz: Once you have read all of this document, follow the link to the Studio Use Quiz and take the quiz. Your use of the space is dependent upon receiving an adequate score. The quiz can be retaken. Only the lead for a student organization needs to take the Studio Use Quiz. That person will then be responsible for the space and actions of the entire group.
The following guidelines ensure spaces stay clean and safe not only for you, but for those that will follow. Take care of your space so those after have a great space within which to create.
Thank you for your interest in utilizing the dance studios and helping to keep campus happy, safe and creative!
We have our own names for each space numbered by size. Dance Department lingo is as follows:
- Studio 1– 63’x48’
25Live equivalent: CAD330
Largest Studio, mirrors on one side, doubles as performance space, hardwood floors
- Studio 2– 48’x48’
25Live equivalent: CAD 324
Medium size, mirrors on two sides, Vinyl Dance Floor
- Studio 3– 35’x48’
25Live equivalent: CAD318
Smallest studio, mirror on short side, hardwood floor
Each studio has a Bosch Power Box, sometimes referred to as a sound cube, for sound playback. Please see Studio Equipment for more information.
Studio Use Eligibility:
The following are guaranteed the right to utilize dance studio space:
- Dance Faculty and Staff
- Dance Majors
- Choreography Classes
- Dancers enrolled in a Dance Department Course
The following may utilize the dance studios if approval is obtained from the Dance department chair:
- Student Organizations with Dance as a Focus
- Other Departments, Academic Courses and Student Organizations seeking a movement based experience
A note on floors:
The Dance Department floors are engineered and installed to ensure years of safe use with proper care. They are floated, meaning there is some bounce to make sure dancers can rehearse and dance for hours on end with less chance for injury. Studios 1 and 3 are finished with hardwood and Studio 2 covered with a vinyl dance floor lovingly referred to as Marley after the original dance floor producer. The floors don’t like foreign or marking material including but not limited to: sticky liquids, rosin, powders, rocks and small pebbles, items that scratch, an abundance of water, ill protected sets and props, marking soles from shoes, permanent markers. Thus, the above items and materials are not allowed and cannot be used on the floors.
Dancing safely begins with the quality of our floors. Please show respect.
- Dance Department Chair: Heather Klopchin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Dance and Art AAA: Patty Cohn <email@example.com>
- Dance Staff Lead Musician: Joel Arpin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Dance Technical Director: Stephen Schroeder <email@example.com>
Studio Policies and Guidelines:
Students and student organizations will follow current campus wide guidelines. Please refer to the Community Standards page for current regulations. No exceptions.
Physical Distancing (Not social distancing – we are still socializing with one another at a physical distance):
At this time, no distancing is required.
All students and student organizations using the studios will use the hand washing/sanitizing stations upon entrance and exit of the studios.
Sanitize in-sanitize out!
All foot coverings must have approval from either a dance faculty member or the Dance Technical Director. Shoes work better on different surfaces, please keep that in mind when requesting space. If wearing foot coverings, please use them only in the studios and limit wear outside of the studios. Put them on after entering, and take them off before exiting. Less dirt and grime brought in is less to dance on.
- Soft soled coverings and shoes designed specifically for dance are pre approved as they are non-marking. Some pre approved coverings include ballet shoes, jazz shoes, dance specific sneakers, socks, pointe shoes in studio 2.
- Due to the variety of other possible foot coverings, before the first rehearsal, all other shoes for any style of dance must be visually approved by a dance faculty member or the Dance Technical Director.
- Tap shoes are only allowed in Studio 2, must have approval and screws must be checked and tightened if necessary before every rehearsal.
- Again, please wear dance shoes only in the studios or other indoor practice areas.
- No food of any kind is permitted.
- Water is the only beverage allowed and must be in a sealed container.
- Water bottles can be refilled at the water refilling station.
Studio Technical Equipment:
- Use equipment only as it’s intended.
- Boomboxes are provided for audio playback, auxiliary cords are not provided.
- Please bring your own auxiliary cord or other playback device if desired (aux cords have two ⅛ inch jacks that plug into your phone/computer/device and then into the aux input on the boombox).
- When done, turn off boomboxes and return them to where they were found.
- TV’s are for Department led rehearsals.
- If using a chair in the space, always pick it up to move it.
- Never slide chairs along the floor.
- Ballet barres should never be hung from or sat upon.
- Any props or other items that will be in direct contact with the floor require prior approval of the Dance Technical Director.
- If mirror curtains are desired, when available pull them only with the rope provided when closing, and help guide them with an arm when opening.
- If a curtain gets stuck, gently try to move it. If it doesn’t move, please leave it and contact the Dance Technical Director.
- Instruments can only be played with the prior approval of the Dance Lead Staff Musician and only for a dance rehearsal or other dance related project.
If anything is found damaged or inoperable, contact a Dance Faculty member or the Dance Technical Director immediately. If anything happens to get damaged in your rehearsal, own up to it and contact a Dance Faculty member or the Dance Technical Director immediately.
Studio and Equipment Clean-Up:
- Return the studio to its original, clean condition.
- Put everything back where you found it.
Special Movement Considerations:
- Move within your ever changing ability with an eye towards the impossible.
Lost and Found:
- If items are lost, you can find them in the lost and found basket in the hallway next to the elevator.
- Valuable items will be taken down to the Center for Art and Dance main office.
- For emergencies only.
- Ice packs, band aids, etc. should only be used if the injury occurs in the studio.
- If you use an item or notice a kit is missing any items, contact either Dance and Art AAA Patty Cohn (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dance Technical Director.
Students and organizations are limited to:
- 1.5 hours during the week
- 2 hours total on weekends
- Please note: Non-dance major students may reserve space for 2 weeks at a time only and not the entire semester.
- Dance Department needs
- Dance Majors
- Choreography Classes
- Students currently enrolled in Dance Classes for class material practice
- Approved Dance organizations/clubs
- Other academic classes and extracurricular organizations
This priority list will be followed under all circumstances. The Department will do it’s best to have all necessary times blocked off but sometimes schedules shift and those further down the list might get bumped to another space or might have to cancel a day. If this happens you will be notified as soon as possible of the conflict.
Only one dedicated member of Student Organizations can request space and only for the maximum hours listed.
All studio requests will be made through 25Live Pro
You must make a request at least 48 hours in advance of when you intend to use the space.
**Making a request does not guarantee reservation. You will be notified of the status of your request and when/if it is accepted.**
Please visit https://wp.stolaf.edu/scheduling/ for information on how to request space on 25Live.
Thank you for taking the time to read through this and for your interest in using the Dance Studios for your rehearsals and creative process. If you believe you are ready, please proceed to: