St. Olaf Dance Scholarships are merit-based scholarships that are awarded to students with exceptional dance talent. Students also may qualify for additional need-based aid, in which case the dance scholarship becomes part of the student’s financial aid package.
Awards of $4,000 and $8,000 per year are open to dance majors and non-dance majors. This renewable merit-based award is potentially a $32,000 4-year scholarship. Recipients are required to participate in one of the dance department’s performing companies (or a comparable performance-based project) and a movement intensive dance class each year.
Dance scholarship applications for students planning to enter St. Olaf in the fall of 2018 are due December 15, 2017. The dance scholarship application link will open September 15, 2017 to submit your dance scholarship application. A student applying for a dance scholarship must also submit an application for admission to the college. The college application must be submitted no later than January 15, 2018. Visit the admissions website for more information and to apply.
Please read the following instructions before beginning the online application:
- Your written response to these questions:
- What are your plans for academic study in college and ideas about your future career goals?
- Why are you interested in the dance program at St. Olaf College?
- To what other schools do you intend to apply? (optional)
- A letter of recommendation from your dance teacher.
- Your dance resume which includes a description of your private study for the past three years, an outline of performance experience in the past four years, a list of honors or awards, and other information that you feel is helpful or relevant to your application.
- Participation in an on-campus audition either in mid-October or in late February. All applicants may attend the October audition. The February audition, however, is for selected applicants only. Following the college application deadline of January 15, selected applicants who have not previously auditioned in October will be invited to the audition in late February. Please preregister for the mid-October audition at stolaf.edu/dance/scholarships.
- In addition to the dance scholarship application, the St. Olaf College application for admission is due January 15.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES FOR STUDENTS APPLYING TO ENTER ST. OLAF IN THE FALL OF 2018
A note about your dance résumé:
Your dance résumé should include the following information:
- Description of your private study for the past three years. Include teachers’ names and dates of study
- Outline of performance experiences in the past four years. Include school, church, community and regional performances
- List of honors or awards
- Other information that you feel is helpful or relevant to your application
October 20, 2017 at 2:00 pm
On-campus audition in the Center for Art and Dance.
Dance Scholarship October Registration Form
A note about auditions:
Applicants participating in the on-campus audition on either October 20, 2017 or February 23, 2018 do not need to prepare any material. The audition will be a combination of a movement class and a small group interview. You will learn movement material and perform it in small groups. You will also improvise with other students. Please come dressed in dance clothes so that we can see you move. You will be dancing in bare feet. There will be a space available for warm-up before the audition. Following the movement class you will be divided into small groups for the interview with one of the faculty members. Auditions begin at 2:00 pm in Dance Studio 1 in the Center for Art and Dance.
December 15, 2017
Your completed Dance Scholarship Application must be received.
Dance Scholarship Application
Students who wish to apply under the binding Early Decision Application can submit the Dance Scholarship Application early. Students are encouraged to attend the October 20th in-person audition, and start the application process well in advance of November 15th or January 8th.
January 15, 2018
Your completed St. Olaf College Application for Admission must also be on file in the Admissions Office.
Late January, 2018
Invitations to the February 23 on-campus audition will be sent to students who have completed the dance scholarship application in full. (If you auditioned in October, there is no need to attend this audition also and you will not be notified about this audition)
February 23, 2018 at 2:00pm
Students who did not already audition in October will be Invited to attend an on-campus audition. If unable to attend, email a video to email@example.com by February 7, 2018.
Dance Scholarship decisions are mailed.
May 1, 2018
National Candidate Reply Date (date by which all students must respond to offers of college admission and to scholarship awards.)
Academic Administrative Assistant
1520 St. Olaf Ave.
Northfield, MN 55057