Various types of college-supported leaves are available to faculty at varying stages of their careers.
- Pre-tenure leaves
- Released-time grants competitively awarded by the Faculty Life Committee
Individual Professional Activity and Travel (IPAT) accounts
IPAT accounts provide annual professional development support for tenured, tenure-track, and special appointment faculty members.
- General IPAT policies and procedures
- Managing your IPAT account
- Using IPAT funds to purchase an iPad
Faculty Travel Budget
- Funds are available through the office of the Dean of the College to support faculty in the dissemination of their research or sharing of their professional expertise.
- General faculty travel policies and procedures
- St. Olaf College Travel and Business Expense Policy
Faculty development events and programs
A variety of professional development opportunities are available throughout the academic year and over the summer, some hosted by St. Olaf and some by other institutions.
- The St. Olaf Center for Innovation in the Liberal Arts (CILA) coordinates faculty conversations, writing retreats, and longer-term collaborations about learning, teaching and scholarship.
- The college hosts periodic summer workshops to support faculty members teaching courses that meet selected General Education requirements, including writing (FYW, WRI), oral communication (ORC), and ethics (EIN).
- The Provost’s Sabbatical Series features presentations by two faculty members each semester concerning their sabbatical experiences and accomplishments.
- The Associate Provost notifies the faculty of other professional development opportunities, such as NEH Summer Stipends or Associated Colleges of the Midwest programs.
Detailed information about each of the following is available from the Faculty Life Committee.
Many St. Olaf faculty benefit from individual and collaborative grants from private foundations and government agencies to support scholarly, creative, curricular, and pedagogical projects. Considerable assistance in grant application and grant fund management is available from the Office of Government, Foundation, and Corporate Relations.