What is Moodle?
Moodle (Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment) is an open-source course management system that is used in education and other settings throughout the world. Moodle was designed using pedagogical principles and can be easily customized, making it an excellent platform for e-learning courses, hybrid courses, and a variety of other learning environments.
How is Moodle used at St. Olaf?
- At St. Olaf, we set up a new Moodle server for each academic year (Fall, Interim, Spring, Summer I, and Summer II).
Moodle for 2014-15 | Moodle for 2013-14 | Moodle for 2012-13 | Moodle for 2007-2012
- Approximately 70% of the professors at St. Olaf use Moodle to create online sites for their courses. Faculty use Moodle to organize and distribute course materials, such as syllabi, calendars, assignment sheets, lecture notes, Powerpoint presentations, etc. Some use Moodle for individual and collaborative assignments by creating Moodle discussion forums, quizzes, and online writing assignments. Many faculty also use the Moodle gradebook so that students can easily track their grades during the course of the semester.
- Many campus organizations, committees, academic and staff offices, and other groups also create Moodle sites to organize and distribute documents and links related to a particular topic. Some examples of these sites are Writing Resources, Speaking Center, GRE Prep, CURI Research, Provost’s Office, and many more.
How can I get help with Moodle?
- Request a Metacourse or General Help: Write to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- Support Options:
Individual consultations or customized workshops for departments.
IT Open Lab: Mon.-Thurs., 3:00-4:30 p.m., RML 250
IT Workshops: Register in LEARN / Check the IT Workshop Calendar.
- Moodle Support Staff:
Nancy Aarsvold, Assistant Director of Instructional Technology (ext. 3550 / aarsvoln)
Ben Gottfried, Multimedia Instructional Technologist (ext. 3613 / bdg)
Doug Hamilton, Instructional Technologist (ext. 3857 / hamilton)
Jason Menard, GIS Instructional Technologist (ext. 3731 / jcm)
Michael Domingues, Linux Systems Administrator (ext. 3327 / mdd)
How can I learn more about Moodle?
- Lynda.com video tutorials: Moodle 2.6 for Faculty | Moodle 2.1 for Students
- Moodle.org documentation: Moodle 2.6
St. Olaf Moodle How-To Guide
- Migrating Moodle Sites to the 2014-15 server
- Introducing Moodle at St. Olaf
- Adjusting the Moodle Settings:
- Adding Content (Resources) to Moodle:
- Adding Activities to Moodle:
- Adding Quiz Activities to Moodle
- Creating Quiz Shells (Google Presentation)
- Adding Quiz Questions – Multiple Choice Questions (Google Presentation)
- True/False Questions (Google Presentation)
Calculated Questions | Embedded Answer (Cloze) Questions
Essay Questions | Matching Questions | Multiple Choice Questions
Numerical Questions | Short Answer Questions |
- Grading in Moodle