Changes to Field Experience Requirements due to COVID-19 in Effect for Academic Year 2020-2021
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are changing our field experience requirements. For the Fall Semester, only licensure students enrolled in ED 330 will complete their field experiences. Students will be expected to follow all safety protocols outlined both by St. Olaf and by their schools, including monitoring their health each day before leaving campus, wearing masks at all times, and washing hands frequently. However, to limit the number of volunteers we send into schools, students in all other Education courses will not have field experiences in the fall. Overall numbers of hours required will be adjusted based on the field experiences offered in each upcoming course. Policies regarding field experiences for spring semester have not yet been set.
- It must be a teaching experience (e.g. Upward Bound, Breakthrough, LearningWorks, EXPLO) in order for it to count for field experience hours. Camp counseling experience (e.g. YMCA, church camp) will not count towards field experience hours.
- This option is currently only available to students in the classes of ’21 and ’22.
- The maximum number of summer academic program hours that can count towards field experience hours is 50 hours.
- To record your hours, submit the Summer Field Experience Confirmation Form in Tk20 under the Applications tab. You will be asked to provide information about your summer academic program and reflect on your teaching experience.
Students enrolled in the following courses: ED 170, ED 246, ED 260, ED 270, ED 290, ED 330, ED 374, ED 378, ED 379, and several methods courses are required to complete a field experience. These experiences are integral components to the St. Olaf College Teacher Education Program and provide an opportunity to apply educational theory to real-world settings. Students are required to complete a minimum of 120 hours of field experience, 60 hours of which must be in a diverse setting.
- Field Experience Handbook. This handbook outlines the field experience expectations for students and host teachers.
- Northfield Background Check Form This background check form goes directly to the Northfield School District and must be submitted before assisting in a school.
- Confirming Your Placement in Tk20. This link will take you to the Tk20 Directions page; you can see how to confirm your placement in Tk20.
- Field Experience Program Calendar Spring 2020
- Field Experience Goal Sheet. This paper form can be used to keep track of your field experience hours, however you will be asked to enter your hours in Tk20 at the end of your field experience instead of turning this form in (click here to follow directions for entering your goal sheet in Tk20).
- Field Experience Student Information Form. This form should be completed electronically and given to your host teacher at the start of each field experience. Save it and upload it to Tk20 as an artifact so you can simply modify it with each new field experience.
- Ed 379 Interim Student Information Form