Founded in 1911, the St. Olaf Education Department has been dedicated to preparing effective teachers who possess exemplary knowledge in academic content and pedagogy. Even from its earliest years, the department has consistently emphasized the importance of community-minded teachers who are skilled at working with diverse students. Although the department’s faculty, staff, students, and curriculum have changed, the department’s mission to advocate for the betterment of all people remains constant. Overall, the dual commitments of preparing adept teachers and striving for educational opportunity and equity transverses the history of the St. Olaf Education Department.
In the summer of 2018, Erik Lepisto and Jack Schoephoerster participated in a CURI project to compile the Department’s history. Here are the results of their project:
1. A documentary highlighting the history of the Department: 1911-2018
2. An Elevator site linking to a variety of Education Department artifacts from the College Archive and other sources.
3. A narrative of the Department, including additional information not in the documentary or Elevator site.