Things to consider before arrival:
- Put together a basic self care kit and review how to use it when needed. Suggested basic items: pain reliever such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, inexpensive digital thermometer, various sized band aids, cold or allergy medication, throat lozenges, Tums, tweezers, ice pack, antibiotic ointment, non stick gauze, adhesive tape, insect repellent with DEET, and sunscreen.
- Consider getting a flu shot before arrival on campus. It’s one less thing you need to think about during the school year.
- Check with your health care provider to make sure immunizations are up to date. Get a physical if you are due for one. A physical is not required for matriculation, but is strongly recommended for all students before arrival on campus. Having a physical allows your health care provider an opportunity to update any needed immunizations, refill medications, and provide written prescriptions (including ADD prescriptions), and assess health needs. If you have asthma, you should have updated prescriptions and been given an asthma plan. Physicals are not available on campus.
- See your dentist for a regular check up at least 6 months prior to coming to school.
- If you wear contacts, bring a back up pair of glasses to campus.
- Bring a copy of your insurance card or information and keep it in a place you can find it if needed.
- Transfer prescriptions to a local pharmacy if needed. See Health Service website for campus delivery instructions if needed.