This document primarily deals with how to get to your first login to ArcGIS Online, since getting access the first time takes a little bit of extra work. Once you’ve done that, though, future logins are just a matter of using your St Olaf username and password. Here’s how to get started.
Your first login after receiving your invitation to ArcGIS Online
- Before you do anything else, you’ll need to be invited to ArcGIS Online by one of the Administrators. Once you’re invited, you’ll get an email with the subject line: “An invitation to join an ArcGIS Online organization, St. Olaf College“
- You’ll need to click on the link in that email, where you’ll be taken to ArcGIS.com to begin the account creation process. You should see a screen like the below… click on the “St Olaf College” account button.
- Once you’ve clicked on the button, you’ll go into the normal St Olaf Google authentication process.
- Once this is complete, you’ll see your ArcGIS Online profile appear on-screen.
- At this point, you’re done and now have access to all ArcGIS Online has to offer. But! There a small peculiarity in the account creation process. Note how in the above profile that the last name entry is blank. Generally we’ll fix this behind the scenes, but feel welcome to click on the Edit my Profile button, and add your last name back to your profile, and add any other details you’d like. None of that is necessary for you to use ArcGIS.com.
Logging in to ArcGIS Online after account creation
- Point your browser to arcgis.com
- Click the Sign In link at the upper-right of the screen
- The screen will change to a normal login screen. There will be a prompt for your username and password. Don’t use that! Instead you’ll authenticate using your St Olaf Google account.
- When prompted for your organization’s URL, enter “stolaf” in the text box and click continue.
- Select your St. Olaf account once again:
- Once your login is successful, you should be taken directly to the ArcGIS Online home screen. If you’re having login trouble, please drop the St Olaf IT helpdesk a line: email@example.com.