St. Olaf has a fleet of vehicles which are available for official business of the college. These are available to faculty, staff and registered student organizations. Our fleet includes:
|Eight, 7-passenger Minivans ($.50 a mile charge)
One, 8-passenger Chevy Traverse; all wheel drive and 5,200 pound towing capacity ($.65 a mile charge)
Mileage rate includes gasoline, insurance and maintenance (charges are subject to change).
Local trips are charged a $25 minimum fee.
Anyone driving a college vehicle must be at least 18 years old and must be on the approved drivers list. Drivers must pass a motor-vehicle background check and maintain the online Alert Driver safety training program certification (must be renewed every two years). Please complete the background check and register for the training.
Reserving a St. Olaf Vehicle
To reserve a vehicle, please complete our St. Olaf Vehicle Reservation Form.
On this form you must indicate the following:
- Date and Time of Departure
- Date and Time of Return
- Unit name and number for the charge
- Preferred size of vehicle (mini-van or Traverse)
- Number of people traveling
- Driver’s name (and cell number, if known)
A cancellation charge of $25 will be assessed if your request is not cancelled within 24 hours of reservation.
Using a St. Olaf Vehicle
Upon receiving a confirmation of your reservation, you must collect a key packet on the day of your reservation. Key packets can be picked up at the Buntrock Information Desk or the Buntrock Commons Scheduling Office. All college vehicles are parked in the lot on the west side of Tostrud and must be returned there after the reservation concludes. Your key packet must also be returned to Buntrock Commons immediately after you return the vehicles to Tostrud.
When returning St. Olaf vehicles, the gas tank should be at least ½ full. Each van packet includes a credit card to be used to purchase gas. If purchasing gas, please make sure that you get a receipt for the gas and leave the receipt in the key packet.
Trips leaving before 9:00 am on Saturday or Sunday must pick up key packets the night before.
Travel groups of 15 or more are encouraged to utilize a chartered bus if the travel distance is greater than 50 miles one-way. Northfield Lines is a trusted, local, transportation vendor. Please stop by the Office of Student Activities for assistance with bus reservations.
If a St. Olaf Vehicle is not Available:
Faculty/Staff: Please call our preferred rental car vendor, Enterprise Rent-a-Car. Their local address is: 150 Water Street S, Northfield, and their phone number is (507) 664-9944. Drivers must still be approved through St. Olaf.
- The College disallows the rentals of 12 passenger vans through Enterprise, or other rental car companies.
- Charges vary according to size.
- With rental vehicles, gas is over and above the regular charge.
- Drivers must be 18 if using the St. Olaf account, 21 if reserving as an individual.
- Cancellation of rental vehicles must be made at least 48 hours prior to scheduled use or a cancellation charge will be incurred.
- There will be a $50 fee applied to each rental cancelled within 24hrs of the pickup time.