Students pursuing the Media Studies concentration must enroll in and complete an internship for academic credit in a media-related field; e.g., film, television, video, radio, internet, newspaper, magazine, book publishing, journalism, public relations, marketing, advertising, graphic design, among others. A quater, half, or full credit internship over a semester or summer term, or a full credit over an interim, may be undertaken at any time during a program of study. While students are responsible for securing personal internships, they should consult Kirsten Cahoon, the Senior Associate Director of Employer and Alumni Relations in the Piper Center for additional information and guidance.
Check out these resources to get started:
Previous Media Studies Academic Internships
Categories of organizations include:
- Music/Radio (CBS Radio, Columbia Records, and Minnesota Public Radio)
- Broadcasting (NBC Universal and St. Paul Neighborhood Network)
- Public Relations/Communications (St. Paul Chamber Orchestra and Estée Lauder)
- Publishing (Alive Magazine, Her Own Words, Hallmark Cards, and National Geographic Books)
- St. Olaf (Communications, The Manitou Messenger, and the Theatre Department)
- Video Production (Dr. Phil and Warner Bros. Pictures)
- Miscellaneous (Pfizer, Inc., Teach for America, World Food Processing)
Check out more examples here.
Suggested steps to the internship search process
- Create a resume and cover letter.
- Search for internships that align with your goals and interests.
- Apply for positions.
- Brush up on your interviewing skills.
- Fill out the Academic Internship Learning Agreement & Plan.
- After completing the internship, fill out the guide to reflecting on an internship experience.