Searching for hidden (un-posted) opportunities
“Hidden Opportunities” refers to those job or internship openings that you will never see posted on a job board. Employers often prefer to use referrals rather than deal with the hassle of numerous unknown applicants for one position. Therefore…
Networking is the NUMBER ONE way to find a job or internship.
Strategies for finding hidden jobs and internships:
- Connect with alumni, family or friends who can provide information about career fields you are interested in. Conduct information interviews in order to gain information and strengthen the relationship. Follow-up with a more specific requests for information.
- Connect directly with employers who might be able to provide an opportunity that fits with your interests. Email or call someone in the organization to let them know about your skills and interests and inquire about possible opportunities for you to contribute.
Use the Networking Guide and meet with a Career Coach to develop a personalized plan to access hidden jobs and internships related to your interests.
Networking resources especially for Oles:
- St. Olaf Internship Database – search information about 1400+ internships completed by Oles in the past. Many of these organizations might be open to hosting an intern again.
- LinkedIn – create your profile and join groups related to your areas of interest and use the St. Olaf Alumni page to find alumni to connect with
- Online Alumni Directory – search by occupational area, city, major, organization – conduct informational interviews with alumni of interest
Other networking resources:
- Professional Association Websites – student membership often comes with access to a directory of professionals and many opportunities to connect in person at events
- Directories based on field or industry (MN Nonprofit Directory, for example)
- Search Glassdoor to find resources and information on jobs and companies.
- Chamber of Commerce in a specific city
- Also, don’t forget to check out our Job Search Tool Form.