Most human beings are happy to help out another human being. And that’s what true networking is all about: meeting people, getting to know them, and helping each other build lasting connections that may result in professional opportunities.
The Piper Center is here to support you as you create a professional network. Stop in when you need a pep talk, advice, or suggestions about whom to contact.
The topics below can help you understand the value of networking and the ways that people build connections so that everyone benefits.
- Why are people often uncomfortable with the word “networking”?
- Why do people network?
- How do you arrange a connection?
- Whom do you include in your network?
- Where might you want to network?
- How do you handle online networking?
- How do you use the online St. Olaf Alumni Directory?
- How do you network in a professional and courteous way?
- If you benefit from networking, how do you ‘pay it back’?
Networking is meeting people, getting to know them and hopefully building lasting connections that may result in professional opportunities. A great many jobs and internships are obtained through networking.