Informational interviewing is a great way
- To refine your goals for your vocation and career
- To get information about a specific role or position
- To gather information about a particular organization
- To learn about the job market in a specific industry or geographic region
The goal of an informational interview is to gather information — NOT TO CONDUCT A JOB INTERVIEW!
Arrange informational interviews with people who
- Have the power to hire you
- Are knowledgeable about the field or the organization
- Have connections that may help you get your foot in the door of the organization or a similar one
The tips below will help you get ready so that you are prepared and confident:
- Who can help you find the right people to interview?
- What if you know the name of the organization but not the name of the person?
- How do you arrange an informational interview?
- How do you prepare for an informational interview?
- What questions might you ask during an informational interview?
- How do you handle an informational interview?