At St. Olaf, you can pursue your interest in China and the Chinese language in the following ways:
- You can major in Chinese.
- You may take Chinese language courses to fulfill the College’s foreign language requirement or to major in Chinese or Asian Studies.
- We offer four years of language courses. Students not only develop skills in the language, but also gain knowledge of China in all of the language courses by using various authentic materials.
- We offer various China-related courses both from Asian Studies as well as from other departments such as art history, history, philosophy, political science, psychology, and religion.
- You can enroll in the Asian Conversations Program to broaden your understanding of Asia while studying Chinese and traveling to China for our January Interim.
- You can choose to study abroad at East China Normal University in Shanghai for a semester or entire year .
- You can choose to study abroad in Taiwan for a semester.
- You can also participate in various extracurricular activities such as Chinese Culture Club, or live in the Chinese Language House.
- Some of our graduates have received Fulbright scholarships, been accepted for St Olaf’s own China Fellows Program to teach in Shanghai, and continued studying Chinese in various graduate programs.
For more information, contact Prof. Rika Ito, Chair of Asian Studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chinese program alumni: keep up with the department by liking our Facebook page!