To fulfill a Chinese major, students will demonstrate both linguistic and cultural competence.
Requirements for the Chinese Major
The major consists of nine courses.
- Four core language courses:
- CHIN 231: Intermediate Chinese I
- CHIN 232: Intermediate Chinese II
- CHIN 301: Third-Year Chinese I
- CHIN 302: Third-Year Chinese II
- One language course above CHIN 302, such as:
- CHIN 320: Special Topics in Chinese
- CHIN 351 Chinese Language and Society through the Media
- CHIN 360: Professional Chinese
- An equivalent course taken during an approved study abroad language program
- Four courses, taught in English, focused on China/Chinese language and culture:
- At least one must examine transnationalism/regionalism/global perspectives
- At least one must be 300-level
- No more than one may be 100-level
- One may be an Independent Study or an Asian Studies senior seminar (ASIAN 397 and ASIAN 399)
- The Asian Conversations sequence (ASIAN 210, 215/216, 220) may count for no more than two
Please see attached worksheet for specific course requirements.