In the event of any active shooter or attacker, a rapid response by local law enforcement to the scene and communication from the College to the community by OleAlert would occur. Initial alert messages would be followed by critical information and regular updates.
(You must quickly determine the most reasonable way to protect your own life!)
- Seek safety. Getting away from the attacker is the top priority.
- Evacuate regardless of whether others agree to follow.
- Leave your belongings behind and get away. It is most important to run to safety.
- Call 911 when you are safe and describe the attacker, location, and weapons.
- If you can’t evacuate, hide and cover.
- Find a place to hide out of view of the attacker and if possible, put a solid barrier between yourself and the threat.
- Do not leave your hiding place until you are instructed to by law enforcement or College Public Safety.
- Lock and block doors, close blinds, and turn off lights.
- Keep silent, including silencing electronic devices
- Don’t answer the door.
- Fight only as a last resort.
- When you can’t run or hide, attempt to disrupt the attack or disable the attacker.
- Be aggressive and commit to your actions.
- Recruit others to ambush the attacker with makeshift weapons like chairs, fire extinguishers, scissors, books, etc.
- Be prepared to cause significant injury to the attacker.