Fire Safety Policy St. Olaf College
St. Olaf College takes fire safety very seriously, and works to reduce risks comprehensively. Building design and construction materials, along with fire alarm and fire suppression systems go a long way to toward a safe environment for students, faculty, and staff, but behavior is also important.
Most of the campus buildings are constructed with steel reinforced concrete structural systems, and most wall construction is fire resistive. When there is steel structure it is protected from heat and fire by fire resistive cladding, spray insulation, and/or sprinkling. If there is a fire condition all this comes together to help isolate the problem, protect you, and the structure. That said, incidents may occur.
If you discover a fire:
- Activate the fire alarm system and call 9-911 from any campus phone to report the fire
- Evacuate the building closing doors and windows behind you
- DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS
- Provide evacuation assistance to those with special needs if possible
- Report to your building/department gathering point to be accounted for
- DO NOT re-enter the building until the fire department authorizes re-entry
If caught in smoke:
- Do not breathe in the smoke
- Breathe through your nose and use a shirt or towel to breathe through if possible
- Drop to your knees and crawl to the nearest safe exit
If trapped in a building:
- Close all doors and windows
- Place cloth material under the door to prevent smoke from entering
- Call for help using a phone or cell phone.
- Attempt to signal people outside of the building
Using a fire extinguisher:
- Report the fire first by calling 9-911 and 3666 from campus phones. From your cell phone, call 911 or Public Safety at 507-786-3666
- Our fire extinguishers are in place for the use of trained staff. Use a fire extinguisher ONLY if you have been trained to do so
- If you have any doubt of your ability to fight the fire, exit immediately
- If you decide to use a fire extinguisher, place yourself between the fire and an exit
- To use the fire extinguisher, follow the PASS method:
Pull the pin to break the tamper seal
Aim low, pointing the nozzle at the base of the fire
Squeeze the handle to release the extinguisher agent
Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until the fire is out.
If the fire re-ignites, repeat the steps above.