College Driving Information

St. Olaf College’s insurance provider, Educational and Institutional Insurance Administrators, Inc. (EIIA) requires that all St. Olaf employees and students pass the driver safety training program prior to driving campus owned, leased, or rented vehicles.  In order to remain current, the training program must be repeated every 2 years.

In order to qualify as a St. Olaf College driver

  • you must be 18+ years old,
  • you are required to have a valid U.S. driver’s license,
  • you must be a member of the St. Olaf College Community,
  • you must not have any serious traffic violations,
  • and you must complete the St. Olaf College required driver safety training program.

Once you have been cleared to drive (allow up to 48 hours after completing the class for clearance), your name will be added to the list of authorized campus drivers for up to a period of two years.

St. Olaf College along with our insurance provider EIIA, have selected SafeColleges’ web-based training as our driver safety training program. This course is designed to help keep you safe behind the wheel. Should you decide to continue driving campus owned or leased vehicles at the end of the two years, and every two years following, you must renew using the on-line renewal system.

College fleet vans may be reserved through the Buntrock Commons Office (x3017) for College purposes. Remember that you must be on the current “approved” driver list in order to reserve a college owned or leased vehicle. Long distance travelers should arrange car rental through on-line booking or by calling our preferred rental car vendor, Enterprise Rent-a-Car. Their local address is: 150 Water Street S, Northfield, and their phone number is (507) 664-9944. Enterprise requires drivers to be 21 years of age.

Please keep in mind

  • The College recommends that travelers use economy or compact models when rental cars are necessary. For domestic travel, do not accept the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Personal Accident insurance (PAI), since the College provides adequate insurance. The College will NOT reimburse additional insurance coverage. Contact the Office of the Vice President & Chief Financial Officer (x3016) to obtain a proof of insurance card prior to travel.
  • Before leaving the rental lot, the traveler should inspect the vehicle for pre-existing damage to avoid unwarranted additional charges when the vehicle is returned.
  • Return the rental car to the agency (same location) with a full tank of gas to avoid additional charges.
  • Attach a copy of the rental agreement as well as the receipt to your Travel Expense Report.
  • The Office of the Vice President & Chief Financial Officer (x3016) should be contacted upon return should an accident occur while driving a rental car.

If you have any questions, please contact Rose Brown (x3016).