*VISTA is for people who are:
- Concerned about poverty in America
- A college graduate
- An organizer, a resource-builder, a self-starter
- Patient enough to work on a project that might not show results quickly
- Interested in creating or expanding programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty
- Interested in providing indirect service through building the organizational, administrative, and financial capacity of a nonprofit organization or local government agency
- Comfortable staying in one community for one full calendar year
Examples of the work that VISTA members do:
- Create an adult literacy awareness campaign and recruit volunteer tutors.
- Set up transitional housing dedicated to helping the homeless turn their lives around.
- Expand programs to help low-income families obtain affordable health insurance.
- Recruit mentors for children of incarcerated parents.
- Organize shelter and job opportunities for victims of disasters
Payment and Benefits
AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance (currently $11,800/year pre-tax, distributed bi-weekly), health care benefits, student loan forbearance or deferment, one year of noncompetitive status for a federal government job, and access to the network of VISTA & VISTA alumni. Upon completing a full year of service, you will receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $6195. Learn more about the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award.
How do I search for positions?
VISTA positions change every 1-3 years due to the nature of the federal grant cycles. Given that there are few established VISTA programs that operate year after year within a given nonprofit or government agency, it can be difficult to find what VISTA positions are available in a community for the coming year. There are four main ways that you can search:
- Search for VISTA positions on the “Advanced Listing Search” site of the official website.
- On the main page of the official website, select the state you are interested in under “AmeriCorps in Your State”. Then download, “AmeriCorps in state (PDF)”. Here you will find a comprehensive list of all the AmeriCorps placements in that given state for the previous year. If you find a program that looks interesting, you can contact the organization directly and inquire about whether there are available VISTSA positions for the coming year.
- Sometimes VISTA positions are posted on a state’s Council of Non-profits website. Go to the National Council of Nonprofits website to find your state’s website.
- While there is currently not a comprehensive website that lists all of the AmeriCorps*VISTA positions, we have compiled a growing list of programs that you should be aware. Please click here for the list.
How do I apply for positions?
- Contact the organization directly to find out if they have their own application process.
- Apply on-line directly by registering and completing an application.
Some information has been repurposed from the AmeriCorps*VISTA website.