The Norway Innovation Scholars Program offers an opportunity for selected science, nursing, and business students to complete research projects submitted by a Norwegian biotech company. Teams of four St. Olaf students are selected to participate in this experience. The Norway Innovation Scholars typically have the unique opportunity of spending four weeks in Norway in January performing market analysis, evaluating intellectual property issues, and creating a strategic plan. The current plan (subject to change) is for the Interim 2024 program to be in-person and involving students traveling to Norway. The Interim experience is offered through the Biology 395 course, which is taught by Dr. Kevin Crisp in the St. Olaf Biology Department.
The program aims to provide first-hand experience to science, nursing, and economics students on how science and business intersect. Norway Innovation Scholars will gain meaningful experience in areas like: technology transfer, business development, marketing, design thinking, intellectual property, health insurance, market analysis, and regulatory affairs. The partner organizations and project types vary from year to year. Students will present their findings at the end of the interim experience.
Norway Health Tech
Norway Health Tech, a technology cluster facilitating the country’s growth of new and innovative healthcare solutions, serves as a partner in this program and helps coordinate the connection between the St. Olaf students and the participating Norwegian biotech companies.
- Time: Interim (January) 2024
- Information Session: Thursday, Sept 23, 2023, 11:30am – 12:30pm, TOH 200
- Application Deadline for Interim 2024: Friday, Sept 29, 2023, 11:55pm Central time
- Students selected for the Norway Innovation Scholars Program 2024 interim cohort will be expected to participate in several pre-experience on-campus team meetings and possible required virtual meetings with program mentors outside St. Olaf. Additionally, the team members must attend other orientation sessions may be required. Teams participating during the 2024 Interim will share the results of their research in late January 2024.
- Interim participants will receive a stipend and travel/housing support (amount TBA).
- Interim Program: Junior or Senior (exceptional sophomores may be considered)
- Major or concentration in any of the natural sciences, nursing, economics, management or media studies, mathematics, or with other relevant academic background/experience
- Strong academic record
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to extend one’s knowledge base to the topic at hand and to conceptualize and frame relevant questions
- Previous experience in research preferred but not required
- Evidence of effectiveness as part of a team
- Understanding and respect for confidentiality
- Willingness to commit time and energy to the project
- Unofficial transcript – Log in to the SIS go to grades -> select all years/terms -> export as a PDF file (one way to do this is by going to a print screen and clicking on “view as PDF”, or “view in preview”)
- Letter explaining interest in this initiative, describing background and specific experiences related to the project, and providing an example of a team on which the student has been an effective member
- Name of one faculty member to be used as a reference, indicated in the letter
- Login to Handshake via the directions next to the login field. Search for “Norway Innovation Scholars Program – Interim 2024” under the job and internship postings tab.
- Save your resume, unofficial transcript & cover letter to a common location
- Upload your resume “under resume”, your transcript under “unofficial transcript”, and your letter explaining interest under “writing sample” (all under the “Documents” tab on the blue menu bar).
- On the right-hand panel, select your resume, transcript & personal statement – click “Submit”.
Interviews of Selected Students
A team of St. Olaf personnel will conduct formal interviews in Fall 2023 (dates TBD) after review of applications. The final selection will be based on academic background and related experience with care taken to create the appropriate mix of academic backgrounds on each team.
Read about how past participants gained experience in business abroad.
You must be logged in to post a comment.