- Find the On/Off dial that is located on a wall in the lab.
- The On/Off dial operates on a timer; it will automatically turn off the exhaust arm after 6 hours.
- Turn the On/Off dial clockwise to the desired amount of time, wait a few seconds until you here (and feel) the exhaust arm start to pull air.
- Place the exhaust opening as close to the item as is feasible; loosen and tighten the articulating joints as needed.
- Make sure that the internal butterfly valve is in the open position (see photo). You can adjust this butterfly valve to increase/decrease exhaust flow.
- Before using an autoclave you MUST receive hands-on training.
- Contact the Biology Stockroom Manager for training.
- Pans, bags, gloves, tape, and other autoclave specific items are located in drawers #2, 3, 4 (RNS 396) or under the whiteboard (RNS 441).
- Fill out the Autoclave Use Sheet every time the unit is run. The sheet is located on a clipboard next to the unit.
- Problems? Contact the Stockroom Manager directly with autoclave concerns/repair needs, etc.
- Avoid using the autoclave after 5pm unless it is absolutely necessary.