HW – How to Determine if Your Waste is Hazardous

Go to the University of Minnesota Chemical Waste Registry Searchable Database where you will use the Drum Designation Code (DDC).

  • Type in either the Chemical Name or CAS (Chemical Abstract Services) Number and click on “Search.”   Typing the first few letters of the name will return matches from which you can choose.
  • In the Search Results, look under the “DDC” column.
    • “xxNH” — If the DDC contains any two numbers followed by the letters “NH” (i.e., 05NH), then the substance is considered nonhazardous and can generally can be disposed down the sewer or in the trash as nonhazardous waste; however, please first consult with the stockroom manager or CHO before disposing of such items.
    • If the DDC includes anything except the “xxNH” designation, then the waste is hazardous waste.
    • If your waste is a mixture of chemicals, and if at least one of the original chemicals does not contain the “xxNH” designation, then the combined substance is considered to be hazardous waste.

Note: as the individual who has received off-campus training in the identification and management of hazardous waste, the Chemical Hygiene Officer is the only individual who makes a final determination if chemicals used in the academic setting are considered hazardous waste.