Three Short Instructional Videos:
Safe Work Practices for Pipetting
- Follow these ergonomics suggestions while pipetting.
- Drain a pipette with tip against the inner wall of the receiving vessel. Never forcibly expel any hazardous material from a pipette.
- Carefully eject the disposable pipette tips to minimize aerosol formation. A wetted towel in the bottom of the dispensing container (which is often a glass beaker) will keep the pipette tip from bouncing around in the container, thereby minimizing aerosol production.
- Place reusable pipettes horizontally in a pan filled with enough liquid disinfectant to completely cover them.
- Mouth pipetting is prohibited; mechanical pipetting devices are used.