Prepare for an informational interview as if it were a screening interview, in which an organization conducts an initial interview to narrow the pool of applicants.
Informational interviews can quickly turn into job interviews if you happen to contact a person
- Whose organization has a vacancy or
- Who may want to create a new position around your qualifications
Preparing questions for an informational interview:
- Prepare written questions in advance
- Prioritize your questions so that you list the most essential information first
- Review What questions might you ask during an informational interview?
Otherwise, prepare for an informational interview just as you would for a job interview:
- Review Preparation: how do you get ready for my interview?
- Review How do you respond to the question,”Tell me about yourself”
- Review Clothes: what do you wear to an interview?