About the Industry Area
The field of marketing promotes a broad management perspective with a large variety of functions, companies, industries, and geographies, resulting in a variety of career pathways to choose from.
- Marketing Career Paths for undergraduate students
- Marketing Career Info (O*Net)
- Advertising, Promotions, & Marketing Managers (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Market Research Analysts Occupational Outlook (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Public Relations & Fundraising Managers (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Sales Managers (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Student Involvement Opportunities
- Student employment: Marketing and Communications Department
- Student Government Association: various marketing roles for branches, events, clubs/organizations
- Student employment: Piper Center Operations and Marketing Team
- Student employment: St. Olaf annual fund
- Companies recruit for marketing job and internships throughout the academic year. Job and internship recruitment for the upcoming summer starts as early as September. Although internship and job opportunities are available throughout the year, the recruitment cycle skews toward the second half of the academic year.
- Marketing covers a large variety of functions, companies, and industries, and the recruiting context will vary accordingly. An informational interview at an agency may quickly turn into a recruiting interview, whereas larger corporate environments will have more formal processes.
- Networking and professional connections can be very important for identifying internship and job opportunities. LinkedIn is the best way to connect with marketing professionals.
- Attend the Recruiting Showcase event in September, and the MN Private Colleges Job and Internship Fair in February
- St. Olaf College’s Handshake database
- Check company websites directly!