Applications are now open for the 2024 Phillips Scholars Program!
Are you a first year or sophomore interested in community service who could benefit from a $9,500 scholarship?
Consider applying to the 2024 Phillips Scholars Program!
The Phillips Scholars Program is a one-year leadership development program providing students the opportunity to create, collaborate on, and complete a summer project focusing on a specific community issue.
Students are invited to apply to this unique program by submitting a proposed service project to benefit Minnesota communities. Each involved college campus will select up to three students to compete for one of ten Phillips Scholars awards.
The Phillips Scholars Program provides scholars the opportunity to do much more than volunteer. Scholars are challenged to identify community needs that fit within a theme and explore ways to create social change by designing and implementing a service project.
What can you do with your summer effort? It’s up to you. As long as you are proposing to meet a real need, students are encouraged to follow their passions when proposing a project.
- 2024–25 Academic Year (approximately 5-10 hours/week)
- Engagement with five trainings throughout the year and a two-day retreat.
- Planning and preparation for your community service project.
- Summer 2025
- Implement a community service project somewhere in Minnesota.
- Projects should require approximately 30 hours per week during the summer.
- Significant leadership and professional development
- Students receive:
- $5,000 scholarship for the 2024–25 academic year
- $4,000 for a summer 2025 stipend
- $500 for a supply stipend
To be eligible for a Phillips Scholarship, a student must:
- Be a first-year or sophomore in the spring of 2024
- Demonstrate financial need
- Aspire to address a significant need within a particular community
- Be able to complete a community service project in Minnesota during the summer of 2025
- Demonstrate interest in civic engagement
- Be able to participate in all required program trainings and events
- Complete this brief application form by Wednesday, February 7
- The Piper Center will then select up to three finalists who will be invited to apply and compete with students from across Minnesota for one of ten scholarships.
- Finalists will be required to complete an additional application form by Friday, February 23.