Applications are now open for the 2023 Phillips Scholar Program!
Consider applying to the 2023 Phillips Scholars Program.
The Phillips Scholars Program is a one-year leadership development program providing students the opportunity to create, collaborate on, and complete a summer project focusing on a specific community issue.
Students are invited to apply to this unique program by submitting a proposed service project to benefit Minnesota communities. Each involved college campus will select up to three students to compete for one of ten – $9,500 Phillips Scholars awards.
The Phillips Scholars Program provides scholars the opportunity to do much more than volunteer. Scholars are challenged to identify community needs that fit within a theme and explore ways to create social change by designing and implementing a service project.
What can you do with your summer effort? It’s up to you. As long as you are proposing to meet a real need, students are encouraged to follow their passions when proposing a project.
- 2023–24 Academic Year (approximately 5-10 hours/week)
- Engagement with five two-hour trainings and a two-day retreat with your cohort.
- Planning and preparation for your community service project.
- Summer 2024
- Implement a community service project somewhere in Minnesota.
- Projects should require a significant time commitment but can be part-time or full-time.
- Significant leadership and professional development
- Students receive:
- $5,000 scholarship for the 2023–24 academic year
- $4,000 for a summer 2024 stipend $500 for a supply stipend
To be eligible for a Phillips Scholarship, a student must:
- Be a first-year, sophomore, or junior in the spring of 2023
- Demonstrate financial need
- Aspire to address a significant need within a particular community
- Be able to complete a community service project in Minnesota during the summer of 2024
- Demonstrate interest in civic engagement
- Be able to participate in all required program trainings and events
- Complete this brief application form – the application deadline has been extended to Tuesday, February 14!
- The Piper Center will then select up to three finalists who will be invited to apply and compete with students from across Minnesota for one of ten scholarships.
- Finalists will be required to complete an additional application form by February 24.