Remember: NEVER use an informational interview to ask for a job!
- Be on time, or a few minutes early (15 minutes at the most)
- If you are unable to keep the appointment, cancel by phone. Don’t just fail to show up!
- Plan to spend 20 minutes — and never more than 30 minutes
- Emphasize how much you appreciate the interviewer’s time
- Tell the interviewer why you believe the interview will be helpful to you
- Give a very brief overview your experiences, skills, interests, and goals
Questions and answers
- Follow a general format of questions and answers
- Ask “how” and “what” questions about the industry, field, organization, roles, or job search
Final five minutes
- Ask for contacts or referrals
- Ask if you may use the interviewer’s name in approaching these contacts or referrals
- Thank the interviewer for meeting with you
- State how helpful the information was in your career search