Lawson Web Access

Lawson web access is available to authorized personnel only.  See policies and procedures for details concerning accounting information.

This service provides Web-based access to Lawson operating budget accounting reports, including:

  • Year-to-Date Budget Variance Reports
  • Year-to-Date Transaction Reports
  • By Period Transaction Report

After you login, you will be shown a list of all the budget units to which you have access. You can select any combination of reports and/or units to view; but for simplicity’s sake, it is best to start with one or two reports on a single accounting unit. If for some reason you do not see a unit you should be able to access, please click on the “Show Directory of Units and Owners” at the bottom on the next screen to request access.

Login to Lawson Budget Reports➤

Detailed Instructions

Download the Lawson-User-Doc to give you detailed instructions and procedures on accessing Lawson.

Download the Budget Manager Guide to give you detailed instructions and procedures on managing your budget.

Lawson Web Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

  • How do I get access to view a unit on the Lawson Web?
    Log into the Lawson Web using your St. Olaf user name and password. Click on “Show Directory of Units and Owners” at the bottom of the page. Email the owner to request access to view the unit.
  • Will my balance roll forward to the next year?
    Units that start with 10-1XXXX and 10-2XXXX and IPAT funds adjust to zero at the start of every fiscal year.Balances roll forward from year to year for units starting with 10-3XXXX, 10-4XXXX, 10-5XXXX, 10-9XXXX, 900-XXXX, with the exception of IPAT funds (IPAT balances do not carry over). The asset balances in capital units 10-6XXXX and 10-7XXXX remain until the asset is capitalized.  Capital assets in the 10-6XXXX range are funded by the College operating budget, while capital assets in the 10-7XXXX range are funded at least partially by gifts.
  • How can I tell if I have money remaining in my unit or if I have overspent?
    For normal operating units (10-1XXXX, 10-2XXXX), if you have money remaining in your budget, it will show up as a positive number in the “variance” column.  If you have spent more than your budgeted amount, it will show up as a credit (negative) in the variance column. For roll-forward units (see previous question), the balance of the unit is the grand total in the “actual” column.  A credit (negative) balance will mean there is an available balance and a debit (positive) balance will mean the unit is overspent.
  • How do I know if the month has been closed in Lawson?
    You can receive notifications of when a month is closed by sending an email to: and include either the word “subscribe” or “unsubscribe” as appropriate in the subject line.
  • How do I view transactions by period?
    If you chose a “By Period Transaction Report,” please select the periods you are interested in from the list at the bottom of the next page.
  • How do I export transactions to Excel?
    To view the transaction report in Excel, select the option: “YTD Transactions (Excel format)” and then select View Report. This will open the report in Excel, and you then can use the sort and subtotal features in Excel to add totals.
    Note for Macintosh Users: You cannot drag the saved file to the Excel directly. Be sure to launch Excel and open the file from within Excel.
  • How do I summarize data with subtotals in Excel?
    See instructions: Summarizing Data with Subtotals in Excel
  • How do I sort transactions in Excel?
    See instructions: Sorting Your Transactions in Excel

If you have any questions about the reports, please email Angie Mathews.