Business Office FAQ’s

  1. How do I get reimbursed for business expenses?
    You need two things to get reimbursed:

    • A properly completed Expense Reimbursement Form including supervisor/budget manager signature and detailed transaction information (mileage, rates, destinations, names of those entertained, business purpose, etc.).
    • Original, itemized receipts
  2. Why do I need original itemized receipts?
    St. Olaf requires original itemized receipts to substantiate the actual business expenses as required under the IRS accountable plan rules. Requiring original receipts reduces the risk of erroneous duplicate payments and increases the detect ability for altered receipts. Itemized receipts are important for ensuring that people are following the Travel and Business Expense Policy, especially in regards to alcohol and sales tax.
  3. When are we exempt from paying Minnesota sales tax?
    In the state of Minnesota, St. Olaf College is exempt from sales tax with two exceptions. We must pay sales tax on prepared meals and lodging. Sales tax unnecessarily paid will not be reimbursed.
  4. Why does Accounts Payable require a W-9 from new vendors?
    IRS Form W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification is required for all new vendors to limit the liability of the College in case of audit. When vendors sign the form they are verifying that all tax information provided is valid.
  5. What do I need to do in order to pay a nonresident alien?
    When dealing with payments to foreign persons, the situations are so unique to each individual that we ask you to contact Payroll at x3299, as soon as you are aware of the payment request. Please note that in some cases it would be illegal to make a payment, so make sure the fact gathering is done before a promise to pay is issued.
  6. Can I send someone else to pick-up my personal reimbursement or cash a check at the Business Office for me?
    No. If you will be receiving cash as the result of a transaction at the Business Office window, you must be there in person to accept and sign for it.
  7. Can I be reimbursed for alcohol?
    Please refer to the Travel and Business Expense Policy. Essentially, alcohol will only be reimbursed when all three of these conditions are met: (a) when food is served (b) for the purpose of conducting business with (c) non-St. Olaf employees.
  8. If I submit a check request/invoice, when will the check be cut?
    The Accounts Payable deadline is 5:00 pm on Tuesday. Invoices and requests submitted by the deadline will result in a check being printed that week. Checks may be picked up on Fridays after 10:00 am. Anything submitted after the deadline will go in the following week’s check run.
  9. What is the current mileage reimbursement rate?
    The federal mileage reimbursement rate beginning July 1, 2022 is $.625 per mile; Airport run: $47.00 round trip.