Experiential learning opportunities are key when investigating careers focused on serving and studying people, whether through internships, job shadows, or informational interviews. Below is a list of locations where St. Olaf students have completed arts management related experiential learning activities since 2000. Interns’ majors include: Art, Music, Economics, and Management Studies concentrators. Use this list to get started and to spark your creativity – there are numerous organizations not mentioned here that may also offer opportunities!
Search by Location
- Choose an area where you would like to live for an internship
- Visit the area’s Chamber of Commerce website, which should have a local listing of arts organizations and venues
- Pick organizations that sound interesting and check out their websites
- Check out employment opportunities, usually under “about us” or “get involved”
- If internships are not listed, send and e-mail. They will be able to tell you if seasonal, year-round, or part-time volunteer experiences are available. It never hurts to ask!
Look for Arts Festivals
Summer arts festivals across the country typically need seasonal, summer interns to make their festival run. You can find art festivals of all types including small, rural festivals, destination location or resort town festivals, or festivals associated and sponsored by professional arts organizations. Many even provide housing and a small stipend to offset any potential costs.
- Utilize online search engines. Google different variations of “arts festivals.” If you look for music festivals, it is helpful to specify “classical music festival.”
- Newspapers often profile arts festivals. Look for past reviews and articles.
- Talk to friends involved in the arts. Ask if they have attended or participated in any festivals.
- Ask professors. They are likely aware of different festivals across the country.
Deadlines for these internships vary, but often occur from January until late March, so begin searching early. If internships are not posted online, don’t be afraid to send an e-mail of inquiry.
Experiential Learning Opportunities in the Fine Arts
- American Dance Festival
- American Zoetrope
- Around the Coyote Arts Organizations
- Art in America Magazine
- Augsburg Fortress
- Bahama Consulting
- Bamboo Design
- Banzai Entertainment, Inc.
- Carver-Scott Educational Cooperative
- City Pages Media Inc.
- Clear Channel Broadcasting
- Coffee House Press
- Columbia Records
- Ephraim Bay Publishing Company
- Flaten Art Museum
- Frank Theatre
- Her Own Words
- Imagine Theater Company
- Jagged Edge
- Kocina Marketing Companies
- Machine Records
- Mental Engineering
- Milton Hershey School Art Museum
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts
- Minnesota Center for the Book Arts
- Minnesota Orchestra – MN Orchestral Association; Public Affairs
- Mpls. St. Paul Magazine
- Mu Performing Arts
- Muskegon Civic Theatre
- National Gallery of Art
- National Geographic Society
- Northfield Arts Guild
- Northfield Enterprise Center
- Old Town School of Folk Music
- Ordway Center for Performing Arts
- Riverwalk Market Fair
- Rockford Art Museum
- SMSQ Architects
- Southern Theater
- Speakeasy Magazine
- St Cloud Civic Theatre
- St. Olaf Theater Department
- St. Paul Chamber Orchestra
- Stages Theatre Company
- Swope Art Museum
- The Jungle Theater
- The Louisville Orchestra
- The Playwrights Center
- The Phoenix Theater Project
- Tinderbox Music
- Vintage Band Music Festival – Organized by Paul Niemisto of the Music Dept.
- Wewelsburg Museum (Germany)
Types of Organizations to Consider
- Dance Companies
- Ballet Companies
- Opera Companies
- Symphony Orchestras
- Performing Arts Venues
Types of Jobs Available:
|Recording||Stage Management||Curatorial||Public Relations|
|New Media||Directing||Library||Front-of-House Services|
|Costuming||Ticketing/Box Office||Archives||Audience Development|