Experiential learning opportunities are key when investigating careers in history, whether internships, job shadows, or informational interviews. Below is a list of locations where St. Olaf History students have completed experiential learning activities since 2000. Use this list to get started and to spark your creativity – there are numerous organizations not mentioned here that may also offer opportunities!
Categories of organizations include:
- Frauenshuh Healthcare Real Estate Solutions – Located in Minneapolis, MN.
- Collyard Landscaping – Located in Lake Elmo, MN.
- Ziegler, Inc. – Internships located across the U.S.
- Signature Flight Support – BBA Aviation plc company.
- Merrill Lynch – Financial management and advisory.
- US Dept. of State/US Embassy – Internships both domestic and abroad.
- State of Wisconsin – Office of the Governor – State government internships in Executive Office.
- Children Better Way – Organization located in Ghana assisting children and communities who have been affected by the conflict.
- Paz y Esperanza – Association focused on the promotion of justice and development of the poor located in Peru.
- School for Social Entrepreneurship – Located in London, England.
- Cannon River Watershed Partnership – Located in Northfield, MN.
- St. Olaf College, Archives
- St. Olaf Theatre
- Social Entrepreneurship Scholars – Civic engagement program located in Northfield, MN; formally Leaders for Social Change
- Northfield Public Schools
- Norwegian American Historical Association – Organization focusing on interpreting and archiving Norwegian-American History.
- St. Olaf College, History
- Northfield Community Action Center
- National Geographic Society
- Association of Public Television Stations – Internships available in legislative, communications, and member services departments.
- Clear Channel Broadcasting – Year round internship opportunities.
- Hubbard Broadcasting, Inc.
- Northfield Historical Society
- National Gallery of Art – Located in Washington, D.C.
- Swope Art Museum – Located in Terre Haute, IN.
- Minnesota State Capitol – Minnesota Historical Society.
- TRACES Center for History and Culture – non-profit educational organization created to preserve and present stories of people during World War II.
- Kelsey Museum of Archaeology – University of Michigan
- Milton Hershey School Art Museum
- Christ Lutheran Church on Capitol Hill – Located in St. Paul, MN.
- Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church – Located in Minneapolis, MN.
- St. Paul Area Council of Churches – Organization connecting congregations throughout the metro area.
- Minnesota Association for Experiential Learning – Regional organization fostering the development and promotion of internships, community service learning, and field experience learning.
- Armenian National Institute – Located in Washington, D.C.
- Childrens Heartlink – International medical nonprofit.
- U.S. Small Business Administration – Independent agency assisting small business located in Washington, D.C.
- Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center – Located in Finland, MN.
Specific Internship Postings
- Public History-Wright State University’s postings
- Carleton College postings
- National Museum of American History
- Smithsonian Institution
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Chicago History Museum
These organizations provide information, networking, and additional training opportunities and may offer student memberships at a discount.
- American Association of Museums
- American Historical Association
- Minnesota Historical Society
- Professional Associations
Links which provide additional information beyond internships in the following areas.