Information about Norway
- Dette er Norge (2017 Norwegian-language edition). Excellent compilation of facts and figures about Norway. Published by Statistics Norway (SSB)
- Minifacts about Norway (2015 edition): presents key information about Norway (also available in other languages)
- Women and Men in Norway (2010 edition): Who are the women and men in Norway? Statistics Norway presents similarities and differences between women and men in Norway within areas of society we can describe with statistics in Women and men in Norway.
Indexes and Search Engines
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Lexin: Bokmål-Engelsk (actually Arabic, but the English definitions also appear)
- Lexin: Nynorsk-Engelsk ordbok
- Bokmålsordboka og Nynorskordboka
- Audio Dictionary
- Store norske leksikon
- Grammar checker
Scholarly Journals–Open Access
- Edda. Nordisk tidsskrift for litteraturforskning / Scandinavian Journal of Literary Research
- Kunst og kultur. Norges eldste kunsthistoriske tidsskrift.
- Nordisk kulturpolitisk tidsskrift. Den viktigste kunnskapskanalen om kulturpolitikk i Norden.
- Nordisk poesi. Scandinavian Poetry. Journal of Poetry Research
- Nordisk politiforskning.
- Norsk litteraturvitenskapelig tidsskrift. Norges eneste tidsskrift for allmenn litteraturvitenskap.
- Norsk sosiologisk tidsskrift. (Norwegian Journal of Sociology)
- Norsk statsvitenskapelig tidsskrift. publiserer bidrag innen politisk teori og metode, offentlig politikk og administrasjon, komparativ politikk og politisk atferd, samt internasjonal politikk.
Norwegian Language Learning Resources (free)
- Sett i gang web portal. Free web exercises and audio to accompany Sett i gang beginning Norwegian textbook.
- På gang. Language resources, including an interactive grammar tutorial and aids and exercises to accompany three novels at intermediate to advanced level. From St. Olaf college. (Work in progress.)
- Duolingo. Free on-line (or phone app) language learning resource. Bokmål. Swedish and Danish also available.
- Norwegian on the web (NOW): web-based beginning course from NTNU, the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Exploring Norwegian Grammar. Interactive grammar exercises published by CappelenDamm, related to the book of the same title.
- Norsk grammatikk for internasjonale studenter, University of Oslo
- Norsk grammatikk: Cappelen/Damm
- Praktisk norsk I og II: Nettsteder with supplemental exercises
- Norsk nettskole: grammatikk
- Computer-Assisted Listening and Speaking Tutor (CALST) (includes vocabulary and pronunciation practice). From NTNU, the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Interaktiv: Norsk som andre språk (VOX)
- One-Minute Norwegian (Radio Lingua network)
- Intro: Norwegian Culture (Cappelen)
- På vei. Interactive Exercises. (Beginning textbook, published by Cappelen Damm)
- Stein på stein. Interactive Exercises. (Intermediate textbook, published by Cappelen Damm)
- MedVoice: Norwegian Course for Medical Students (interactive courses created by the University of Oslo department of linguistics)
- TellRight: Norwegian Course for Nurses (developed through the EU)
Schools, On-Line Courses, and Programs
- Concordia Language Villages
- University of North Dakota on-line course (independent)
- Oslo International Summer School
- Universitetet i Bergen Sommerkurs
- Norwords (Sett i gang website)
- Distance Learning Course through the University of North Dakota.
- Transparent Language
- Norwegian Language Services: Translation, language instruction, academic editing
- Migranorsk web-based course from Norway
- Fagbokforlaget on-line course
Resources for Language Teachers
- ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines
- European Language Levels-Self-assessment grid
- University of Texas language teaching methods class
- Effective Language Learning (various information on language learning, language families, relative difficulty of learning, etc.)
- Videos from CARLA, at the University of Minnesota, on developing materials for less commonly taught languages
- Digitalarkivet: Digital Archives is a public service from the National Archives of Norway. You can search in transcribed source material, such as census reports and church records for free.
- DIS-Norge (DIS-Norway) Norwegian Genealogy Association. A membership organization (NOK 400/year), but some resources are available to non-members.
- Honorary Consulate General of Norway (Minneapolis)
- Norway Connects (work and educational opportunities, scholarships, etc.)
- Norwegian Teachers and Researchers Association of North America (NORTANA)
- Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Study
- Royal Norwegian Embassy
- Norwegian-American Historical Association
- Norway-America Association
- Nordic Studies: Your Passport to Northern Europe